Some might advise me not to post on day four of a migraine but what the hey, I signed up for PostAWeek with WordPress and my word is my honor or however that saying goes. Besides it’s 1-1-11 and that’s significant. This is the day we all make lofty and possibly unrealistic goals and dream about what the next year will hold. We reflect over the good, the bad, and the ugly of the passing year. But this is one of those traditions that goes on my list of “Minor Things in Life that Bother Me.” I want to look to new things and dream big dreams and make fantastically positive goals but I find it rather difficult to focus on all that when it’s unbearably dreary outside. I’m a bit distracted when I’m financially and emotionally drained from the holidays. I just always seem to have a major case of the blahs and lazies at the first of the year. So I’d like a raincheck until April 1.
Now April 1 is an underused holiday. It’s a fantastic time of the year! The earth is coming back to life. Flowers are in bloom. The sun is shining. I’m almost sure all little farm animals and woodland creatures are all born on April 1. And it’s April Fools Day, my favorite day of the year to torture my children. It’s a day when we all wake up with anticipation, excited but unsure of what the day will bring. But it makes us happy and spontaneous laughing happens everywhere.
In 2011 I’ve decided to make my resolutions on April 1 rather than January 1. But until then I’m making a few promises to myself or maybe just life statements to gear up to the resolutions.
1. I am a mess. But I’m a beautiful mess. I’m never going to get it right and perfect. Let’s just get that out in the open.
2. I’m disorganized. But creativity is a destructive process. I will probably never get my act together but yet I’ve never lost a child.
3. I’m over committed. But I’ve put myself out there to be used. It may not be pretty but I’ll eventually get it done.
4. I have a hard time trusting people. But God puts His faith in me and based on #1 it’s the least I can do to look for the beauty in other people.
5. I’m doing my best to screw up my children and drive my husband mad. But I love them and I’ll do the best that I know how.
6. I have a hard time slowing down. And this is linked to my addiction to drive thrus. I could probably stand to pass up a drive thru every once in a while for a moment of peace and rest.
7. I am madly in love with God. I don’t understand Him hardly at all. But I will pursue Him relentlessly.
8. I have a nasty temper. Sometimes it brews and other times I feel possessed. I make no excuses for it but it is part of my passionate heart.
9. I’m hard on this body that I’ve been given. I don’t see myself ever being happy with what’s in it or on it but who is.
10. I leap before I look. That’s not always a bad thing because I seriously know how to dream. It’s all those seemingly important details like grammar and people I tend to jump over. That’s where I need really good, loving, and understanding friends.
That’s enough for now. I wouldn’t want to over extend myself in the new year. But come April 1… Watch out.