Yesterday I got to see Gimme Shelter with my girlfriend Marcia and our daughters. I was a sobbing mess. When you see your dreams up on the big screen it just impacts you in a very powerful manner. I will go see this movie again and will be purchasing multiple copies when it comes out on DVD.
Gimme Shelter is based on the true life story of a young girl named Apple. Apple tries to escape an abusive situation with her mother by finding her biological father. In the mean time Apple discovers she is pregnant and can find no other shelter than a maternity home. This movie touches on so many real life situation in a very honest, not over dramatized or or inflated manner. We need so many more people to see this movie to begin to understand the vulnerability of teen parents and the attack all young people are under everyday. I’ve made a list of the people that need to see this movie. If you don’t see yourself on this list we can talk. Regardless, just go buy your movie ticket.
1. If you have heard of The Sparrow’s Nest Maternity Home.
2. If you volunteer at The Sparrow’s Nest Maternity Home.
3. If you are on the board of The Sparrow’s Nest Maternity Home.
4. If you’ve never heard the words “maternity home” before.
5. If you were a teen parent.
6. If you knew someone that was teen parent.
7. If you are parent of a teen.
8. If you are a teen.
9. If you were ever told you were worthless.
10. If you were ever told your baby would be better off dead.
11. If you ever told someone their baby would be better off dead.
12. If you were a teen father.
13. If you think you might have been a teen father.
14. If you are part of a faith community.
15. If you have seen the effects of drugs and alcohol on the life of a child.
16. If you haven’t seen the effects of drugs and alcohol on the life of a child.
17. If you are concerned about teen homelessness.
18. If you think there is no issue of teen homelessness.
19. If you never had a family to call your own.
20. If you did have a family to call your own.
21. If you have a beating heart and are drawing air into you lungs this very second.